Monday, October 10, 2016

Seeing Others as Christ Does

Makadii hama neshamwari!,        

Highlights & Funny Stuff:
1.) I think I found my perfect investigator because he doesn't speak Shona-only English. The Shona speakers are usually stubborn and don't want to speak English!
2.) I like sadza a lot now. It's weird because now I crave it when before I had to force it down..
3.) This kid at church asked me if I was Chinese....what?
4.) I have terrible memory but I have been able to remember scripture verses so well. The Lord definitely qualifies the called.

Miracle:
Nomatter was baptized on September 24th. The sweetest ten year old girl you could meet and she is always smiling. She was baptized along with her aunt Natasha who was raising her. This past week we went to go see them and Nomatter was not around. Natasha told us that Nomatter's dad came unexpectedly and took her five hours away to live with him. My companion and I were sad because we didn't see this coming at all. We are so thankful that she was baptized just two weeks prior. God's timing is miraculous & He knows all! This was an amazing miracle.

Exchanges in Chi-Town:
On Friday I went on exchanges with Sister Otieno in Chitungwiza. Sister Otieno is from Kenya and is a sweetheart. One family we visited really touched my heart. They have been struggling for a long time and their lives are finally becoming brighter through learning the gospel and repenting. The mother is very sick with HIV/AIDS and the two daughters did immoral things to support the family. They knew it wasn't a good lifestyle and are now changing their lives through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. They are searching for jobs and even though they are struggling with no income they have faith God will provide a way for them. Sister Otieno and I sat, cried and listened to them for a good three hours. When we left I felt a new sense of hope developing in their lives.

 Missionary work is more than teaching lessons and extending baptismal invitations. It is mourning with those who mourn. Listening with patience and open ears. Serving with all of our hearts. It is charity, the pure love of Christ and I love it. In His mortal life, Jesus sought for those who were judged and cast aside - those who seemed different. In Luke 19:1-7 it says,
 And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
 And, behold, there was a man named Zacchæus, whichwas the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could notfor the pressbecause he was little of stature.
 And he ran before, and climbed up into sycomore treeto see him: for he was to pass that way.
 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, andsaw him, and said unto him, Zacchæus, make haste, andcome down; for to day must abide at thy house.
 And he made haste, and came down, and received himjoyfully.
 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, Thathe was gone to be guest with man that is sinner.
We read about Zacchaeus who was a publican which made him unpopular and considered a sinner. His heart was in the right place because he didn't care what anyone else thought of him, only what Jesus Christ thought of Him. He climbed a tree to have a special and unique experience with the Savior that set him apart from everyone else. The Savior saw the intents of his heart. Let's strive not to judge and focus on what really matters. Charity is withholding judgment because oftentimes we look at others with inaccurate or incomplete eyes. Charity enables us to see the potential in others.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful week! I love you all. Zim is treating me well! 


-- 
Love,
Sister Beckstead














No comments:

Post a Comment