Monday, August 15, 2016

The Key to Missionary Work is Work!

This week my companion and I have worked SO hard. I come home feeling sort of like I'm dying and I can't think straight but feeling happier than ever and feeling fulfilled. Missionary work is wonderful and so amazing. I have never worked harder in my life but it's enjoyable work. It seems like my companion and I don't have enough time in the day to visit and teach all of our many investigators no matter how hard we are working but it doesn't matter-I'm just happy with how receptive they are to the gospel.

We got a new investigator named Brother Sekuru. He is the kindest old man with missing teeth and has the best heart. At our first lesson with him he asked my companion and I, "Since I'm old and have forgotten God my entire life, do I still have a chance?" We told him that yes, our Heavenly Father is sad because He wishes His son would talk to Him like how any father would feel, but it doesn't matter how long it's been because He loves you and will be happy when you to come unto Him. This sweet man says that he can't come to church because his front door doesn't lock and he's scared someone will break in while he's gone...third world problems. Still trying to figure out a solution to this one! 

Man, I am getting so sunburnt/tan here! The sun is beating down so hard already and it's only spring time! Crazy. 

Something else I've learned is that there's no coincidences when you're on the Lord's errand. Weekends are always tough in the area because everyone is gone and goes out to town. So, on Saturday, many of our investigators that we planned to meet with were not home. We had about an hour until we had a dinner appointment at a member's home, so we were trying to decide what to do. We finally decided to go see a less active member down the road. As we started walking, two of our investigators that we were supposed to meet with walked by! We ended up having those two lessons, and they both showed up to church on Sunday! We were so happy.

The little kids here in Zimbabwe are the cutest. They always want to take pictures with me and give me high-fives.They always yell, "hey maroongoo!" (white person.) Also, some good news is that the language barrier has been a lot better this week. I am learning how to greet people in Shona, and I think our investigators can understand me a lot better now, it'll just take some more time. We also got the ward missionaries to help translate for my companion and I at lessons where our investigators only speak Shona. It has been a STRUGGLE though. 

Spiritual thought for this week: Charity. This is a topic I love, and one I love to share with others. Charity is an attribute that we should all seek to develop and I know that we can develop charity if we pray for it and strive to become better. 

 Though speak with the tongues of men and of angels,and have not charityam become as sounding brass, or atinkling cymbal.
 And though have the gift of prophecyand understandall mysteriesand all knowledge; and though have allfaith, so that could remove mountains, and have notcharity, am nothing.
 And though bestow all my goods to feed the poor, andthough give my body to be burned, and have not charity,it profiteth me nothing.
 Charity suffereth long, and is kindcharity envieth not;charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
I love you all, I'm thankful for the love and support I receive each week! You are all wonderful. Have a great week!
Love, Sister Beckstead. 





No comments:

Post a Comment